Saturday, January 16, 2010

Fridge Phonics is Fun!


Refrigerator magnets have always had a special place in my heart.   Twenty years ago, when my oldest was a toddler (yes, yes, I know, it's hard to believe I have one that old, go on, please, please, oh, thank you!), I bought my first set of simple refrigerator magnets.  I was amazed (and thrilled) that such a simple, inexpensive toy could keep my son (and my husband, and myself!) entertained.

For some reason, these brightly colored letter-shaped objects are able to hold the interest of babies, toddlers, grade school children, and even adults. 

Even today, 20 years later, I sill have a set on my refrigerator for Luke to play with.   There are a couple of letters missing, and I know they're under that refrigerator.....I think I'll get those out today, now that I'm thinking of it.

Last weekend we were having dinner at a friend's home, and they had on THEIR refrigerator the latest version of the simple refrigerator magnet, and I couldn't pull Luke away!    They had the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set and this toy is so much FUN and UNDER $15!!!


It helps teach the alphabet, phonics, even fine motor skills  (and who doesn't love learning fine motor skills!?!).   And Leapfrog says it can even be used as a speech development tool.

Your child places a letter into the reader (oh, and all the vowels are RED, to distinguish them from the consonants) , and then presses to hear the letter's name, sound, and a SONG!  That's right, a SONG!  In fact, this little gizmo also teaches the Alphabet Song....but relax, because there's a volume switch, and even a "sound off" switch, for when you've heard the song 20, 40, or more times, and just need a little "sound time out."



Luke's Fridge Phonics set has been ordered and is on its way....   I can't wait to play with it!

Enjoy!
~Lisa

Have you seen my selection of Big Brother and Big Sister shirts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment