Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Over, Under, Beside, Behind....





No, I'm not talking about Sister Rosemary teaching us prepositions in the 5th grade!


For the past few days, Luke and I have been playing what he likes to call "The Hiding Game." I have him leave the room, and while he's gone, I hide one of his toy hot wheels cars.


My older kids like to call this the "Hot & Cold Game" and when I play with them, we use degrees of temperature to indicate how close the seeker is to finding the hidden toy. But Luke, who just turned 3, was pretty confused with the entire concept of "hot or cold," so I thought this would be a fun way to practice concepts such as "on" and "behind" and "beside" and "under."


So when Luke comes into the room, I give him clues using those words. I tell him is car is "behind" something. If he goes to the chair that is next to the couch, I tell him that his car is not behind the chair, it is behind what is NEXT TO the chair. Continuously giving him clues until he "wins!" by finding his toy car.


This is a fun game that he loves to play over and over and over.


I've just got to find more places to hide his car!


_______


Want a free copy of my "Ready, Set, Go" E-book? If you want a free copy of my e-book to read with your pre-schooler, just sign up to receive email notices (top right of my blog). I'll send it to you to print out and read over and over (and over, and over, and over). (If you already receive email updates, just send me an email at Lisap@MyLittleRembrandt.com and I'll send you a copy.)


No comments:

Post a Comment