Friday, November 2, 2007

Feelings. Nothing more than feelings.



We've been in need of a lesson on empathy around our home lately.

Not sure if it's because of the impending holidays, or because my businesses have been keeping me busier lately, resulting in (bad mom! bad mom! bad mom!) Luke spending more time watching television while I get work done.

Whatever the reason for the less than stellar behavior, I thought it was time I worked with Luke on how his behavior affects other people.

I made this simple print out. Basically a circle with a nose. The 2nd page has a collection of eyes and mouths. By cutting out the eyes and mouths, I was able to make a "Mr. Feelings" for Luke to play with.

Of course, he had fun making funny faces with "Mr. Feelings," but I used it as a teaching tool by showing him how his brothers and sisters felt when he broke their toys; or how mommy feels when he refuses to listen; and how Daddy felt when Luke gave him a big kiss before he left for work this morning.

I think it's so important that we teach our kids how much their behavior affects other people.

I'd love to send "Mr. Feelings" to anyone who's interested. No cost, just send me an email at Lisap@MyLittleRembrandt.com and I'll send him right to you.

~Lisa

_______________________________

1 comment:

  1. I really like this idea. I am a speech pathologist (ex-Special education teacher) and I think this is a great way to visually encourage/promote the understanding of different feelings and emotions.

    Smiles,
    Ivy
    P.S. I am also a scrapbooker...you can visit my blog http://busybeescrapbook.blogspot.com for any ideas you can use in your business! Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete