Sunday, September 30, 2007

Making homework fun - ideas for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders

Off the path from pre-school activities, I wanted to share a fun way I've found to help my 1st and 3rd graders study for their spelling tests: A WORD SEARCH PUZZLE. I found it here http://www.puzzle-maker.com/WS/index.htm and it's completely free. Simply type in their weekly spelling words, and make a different puzzle for every night of the week.



I've found that my girls enjoy working the puzzles, and it familiarizes them with their spelling words. They don't even realize they're learning!



There's also a free CROSSWORD PUZZLE MAKER http://www.puzzle-maker.com/CW/ . I use this for helping my 5th grader Drake study for a test. I spend a few minutes going through the chapter, find the important words and concepts that he will likely find on his social studies or science tests, and phrase a question or type the definition of the term. He needs to answer the question to fill in the blank on the crossword puzzle. Again, he's practicing and learning, and enjoying the challenge!



I make a different puzzle for him to work on for two or three nights before his test. It's done wonders for his test scores!

No comments:

Post a Comment